Thursday, January 26, 2017

Why I'm Changing My Major

Hallo, it meeee!

It has been a hot minute, ya'll! I was in the shower yesterday thinking, "Wow, I really loved to blog, why did I ever stop?" Well, mostly just because of work and school getting in the way. But then after having a lot of time to myself and reconsidering some things in my life, I thought it would be appropriate to post something.

When I first got out of high school, I already had experience with one job: the veterinary field. After being in the veterinary field, I decided I wanted to pursue veterinary science as my major in college. However, after deciding that I did not want to become an actual veterinarian, I played around with the idea of changing my major to dental hygiene. Once I moved to California, I decided to just go biochemistry and branch out from there into what science field I wanted. I have always been in a science field and have loved science since I was a little kid.

Working and going to school at the same time is no easy feat, but I noticed I lacked the excitement I once did to finish my biochemistry degree. I had made the choice of transferring to a university to add a clinical study of nutrition degree on top of biochem, but I wasn't excited about it. I couldn't imagine myself sitting in a laboratory day in and day out conducting experiments for the rest of my life. While I love that aspect of science, it's not what I felt would make my life fulfilling. I figured I could teach in my spare time, because I always wanted to teach.

I sat down and reevaluated every aspect in my life, where I want to go and what I want to see change. I decided I wanted to enrich myself more this year with more books, more literature, more plays, more poems. And then I realized. . .if I have always enjoyed reading and writing in my spare time and have always wanted to teach, why not be an English teacher? And just like that I changed my major. I am officially going in tomorrow to announce my declaration of major and it feels weird not being a science major. Science has, and will always be, a huge part of my life. While I will never let my love for nutrition and biochem die, it's not as prevalent as it was in my life years ago. English has always been a huge love of mine since I was a kid. No joke, I used to get in trouble because my report cards were sent home with notes that I was reading instead of doing in-class assignments. . .whoops.

I have already started my path to my English transfer degree. I am finding myself enjoying going to class more and soaking up more information to enhance my knowledge. I was really afraid to make this change because my parents always saw me as an intelligent, lab coat wearing, formula-inputting science machine. But in reality, biochem just isn't for me. I suck at math, I struggle in chemistry although I find it interesting. If anything, I am more your biology and geology kind of girl. I want to set myself up for a future that I will always be happy to do. I had wonderful English teachers that made me love English even more. I want to do that for others, too. I haven't decided which grade level I want to teach, but I know I prefer kids that are high school level or older just so I can talk more in-depth about important pieces of literature, rather than going over the ABC's.

I was scared at first of officially making this decision, but my heart and mind are in the right place and are eager to start. If you are a teacher, holla! Come talk to me sometime. I want to hear everyone's stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment about this blog. You don't have to be registered.