Friday, April 24, 2015

Readathon Books, Snacks, and More!

I ordered a few paperback books off of Amazon on Monday.  While my first package arrived Wednesday, my two most anticipated books were set to arrive on Friday by 8:00 P.M.  The readathon begins at 5:00 A.M. PST Saturday, so needless to say I was a bit worried that two out of the three books weren't going to make it on time.  Alas, they arrived Thursday night, much to my relief.  What did I end up with?

The books

1. The Husband's Secret    I chose The Husband's Secret to read first, because I have been intrigued to read it for the past few months but never quite got around to doing so.  A woman's husband wrote her a letter that was meant to be read after he passed away.  The wife finds the letter while the husband is still very much alive, and this letter contains a very dark secret.  Needless to say, it turns her entire world upside down.

2. The Maze Runner   I haven't read a dystopian in a while, and this one sounds like it's going to be really good!  This is the first book of The Maze Runner series.  From the exerpt on the back of the book: "When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.  Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.  Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.  Everything is going to change.  Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.  Remember. Survive. Run."

3. Along for the Ride  In my early high school years, I read a handful of Sarah Dessen's novels.  They were easy reads, and yet so empowering to embark a journey of finding yourself.  This is a bit more of a chunky book, but it's also going to be the easiest read out of the three books I chose to read for the readathon.  I figured after completing two others books and being exhausted, I'd want to stick with something that was a little less in depth and more of a brain candy type.


The snacks
When you are reading for a long period of time and get caught up in the story line, you kind of forget to eat.  And then before you know it, you're starving.  I remember when I was a kid I would be reading at the dinner table, slowly finishing my dinner because I was so intrigued by what was going on in the book.  I made sure I was stocked up on some snacks and had my meals planned.  Since I work from early morning until early afternoon, my breakfast and lunch will be taken care of.  Once I get home, I have grapes, bananas, kiwis, mangoes, fresh strawberries, chips and salsa, trail mix, baked fries that I can just toss in the oven, tea, plenty of coffee and espresso, and whipped cream to go on top of said coffee drinks (very important).   As for dinner, hubby and I are going to visit a friend and we typically pick up a quick dinner with them.


The game plan
The readathon begins at 5:00 A.M. PST.  I am scheduled to work from 7:30 A.M. until 1:30 P.M., and it takes me roughly 15 minutes or less to get home.  I will not be begin reading until I get home from work.  Tonight, I cleaned house, did all of my laundry, painted my nails and washed my hair so I don't have anything to do tomorrow other than to work and come straight home.  I will begin reading The Husband's Secret.  Sometime in the evening, hubby and I plan to head over to a friend's house where we just chill.  I'll be bringing my books over to snuggle up with hubby as the guys play video games and I read.  The next book in my lineup is The Maze Runner, and then I will be finishing with a simple chic lit, "Along for the Ride" by Sarah Dessen.


I plan on posting a few blog updates here during reading breaks, but I will be most active on my Twitter account.  Please come cheer me on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment about this blog. You don't have to be registered.