Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Incorporating "Me" Time

Warning: Serious and motivational, insightful post ahead!
You have been warned.



A lot of people recognize me as a happy-go-lucky, silly, crazy person.  I take a lot of pride in having a happy personality.  But some days it's not easy to let the bullshit and burden of life not get you down.  How does one manage to lead a fulfilling and joyful life?  By making time for yourself every single day.

I didn't incorporate much "me" time until a few years ago.  I lived my life in a manner which pleased others, which meant my happiness was sacrificed in a lot of situations.  Eventually it wore me down and I got upset that I would get walked over like a doormat or when people took advantage of me.  Know your self worth and be your number one fan.  I'm not saying go around being an egotistical prick.  However, if you don't have any self confidence and if you don't know your self worth, how can you expect to be treated with respect when you don't respect yourself?

I work full time, I'm a college student who takes night classes, and I'm married.  There are moments in my life where I am mentally and physically spent that I just feel like a robot going through the motions of daily life.  We all tend to be very busy individuals, in our own busy world, too busy to take time for ourselves or others.  How overlooked the small things in life are, yes?  How lucky we are to be able to arise to another day full of adventure.  Stop looking at the big picture for once.  Goals, while important, often hinder us from enjoying the steps we take to get to those goals.  "I wish it were Friday!"  Why don't you take a moment to enjoy the small things during the other week days?  What kind of life are we leading when we only wish to embrace three out of seven days of the week?

Set aside some time for yourself every day to do the things you enjoy.  Take this time to savor everything.  Use all of your senses and enjoy just BEING.  Wake up a little earlier to enjoy a cup of coffee during a brisk morning walk.  Take a ten minute break at work to Instagram some inspirational quotes.  Set a little time before bed to read that book you've been wanting to, or write some poetry.  Whatever your heart desires, do it.  We are not promised tomorrow.  Appreciate life in each moment.  When you take a shower, really take your time to enjoy the warm water on your skin.  Give yourself a scalp massage when you shampoo your hair.  It's as easy or complex as you want it.  But always, always make time for yourself.

Tonight I am embraced by chilly, fresh winter weather through my new windows, all lights off with a faint glow from my candle warmers which host relaxing scents, a warm cup of delectable hot chocolate, reading a good book in a heated bed while listening to a rain and thunder soundtrack (Relax Melodies is the best app ever!), and being embraced with the presence of a sleepy, sick husband with a fuzzy noggin.

What have you slowed down to appreciate today?  How have you made some time for yourself recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment about this blog. You don't have to be registered.